Pope

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Bowie County

Pope was located in northwestern Bowie County near the James Pope land grant twelve miles northwest of DeKalb. The town was settled in the late 1880s; it received a post office in 1894 with Ida B. Hale as postmistress. By 1896 the town had four churches, numerous businesses, and a population of 500. The post office closed in 1904, and by 1984 Pope had ceased to exist as a named community.

Continue Reading

Cecil Harper, Jr. | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Pope is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Pope is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Knight)

Location

Latitude: 33.65021200
Longitude: -94.72628500

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No