Providence

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Navarro County

Providence, just off U.S. Highway 287 three miles west of Eureka in south central Navarro County, was probably established before 1900 and was named for an early local church. A school was in operation there by the early 1900s, and in 1906 it had an enrollment of forty-three. In the mid-1930s the small community comprised the school, a store, a church, a cemetery, and a number of houses. After World War II the store was closed, and the school was consolidated with that of Mildred. In the mid-1960s all that remained at the site was a church, a cemetery, and a few widely scattered houses.

Continue Reading

Christopher Long | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Providence is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Providence is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 32.14737290
Longitude: -96.49442950

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No