Quigley

Quigley was on the Orange and Northwestern Railway in southern Jasper County. C. E. Slade established a logging camp there shortly after reaching an agreement with the Miller-Link Company to log his land in Jasper and Newton counties in 1905. With a tram railroad easing access to the heavily wooded area, the camp shipped up to twenty-four cars of logs per day and had a population of 150. The Slade camp was abandoned in 1909, but the Allison-Barclay Lumber Company of Call built a new sawmill at Quigley in 1924. Although the mill had a daily capacity of 10,000 board feet, it was removed three years later. Quigley is no longer shown on county highway or United States Geological Survey maps.

Continue Reading

Robert Wooster | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Quigley is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Quigley is classified as a Town

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No