Samaria

Samaria, on Farm Road 3096 four miles southeast of Kerens in southeastern Navarro County, was established before 1900. A school named Goodnight was in operation there by the early 1900s; in 1906 it had an enrollment of 137 black children. In the mid-1930s the community had three churches, a school, a cemetery, and a number of houses. After World War II the school was consolidated with the Kerens school, and two of the churches disbanded. In the early 1990s Samaria was a dispersed community with a church, a cemetery, a community center, a store, and a few widely scattered houses; the population in 1990 was fifty. In 2000 the population reached ninety.

Continue Reading

Christopher Long | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Samaria is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Samaria is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Goodnight)

Location

Latitude: 32.12654200
Longitude: -96.15413910

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

90