The town of Shafter Lake was on the shores of Shafter Lake, four miles west of U.S. Highway 385 in north central Andrews County. It developed as part of a turn-of-the-century boom in West Texas. J. F. Bustin, a local entrepreneur, persuaded the firm of Pierce and Powers to establish a village on the north shore of a shallow alkali lake lying fifty feet below the elevation of the surrounding countryside. Originally the town was named Salt Lake. Later the town and lake were named after William R. Shafter, an army officer who had discovered the lake in 1875.
The most active supporter of Shafter Lake was James T. Cumley, editor of the Shafter Lake Herald. His editorials sparkled with praise for the community. He spoke highly of the area's rich soil, the recreation potential of the lake, and the kind words that visitors had for the village. He sent thousands of copies of the Herald across the country, particularly to the Midwest.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Shafter Lake is part of or belongs to the following places:
Shafter Lake is classified as a Town
- (Salt Lake)
Has Post Office