Southwestern Christian College
Welcome sign at Southwestern Christian College
Southwestern Christian College, a coeducational liberal arts college at Terrell, was originally located in Fort Worth and named Southern Bible Institute. It opened in the fall of 1948. In 1950 it moved into buildings that had previously housed Texas Military College and was renamed Southwestern Christian College. Although initially designed as an institution of higher learning for Blacks during the period of segregation, the college has always been open to anyone interested in pursuing an education beyond the high school level. Enrollment grew steadily from the original forty-five students who attended in 1948 to more than 200 by the early 1970s. During that time the junior college expanded its campus and facilities. A fund-raising drive in 1967 initiated the construction of a new gymnasium, a girls' dormitory, and an additional wing to the educational building. By the mid-1970s the twenty-five-acre campus housed fifteen buildings. The institution was elevated to a four-year college. It has seven divisions in its College of Arts and Sciences. Southwestern Christian College had thirty faculty members and approximately 200 students in the fall of 1998. Jack Evans was the president in 2001.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Southwestern Christian College is part of or belongs to the following places:
Date of Founding Notes
Classes first held in 1948 as Southern Bible Institute in moved to Terrell and changed name, 1950
Private Sectarian Ownership Notes
Church of Christ
President, Dr. Ervin D. Seamster Jr. 2017–Present
Southwestern Christian College is classified as a College or University
- Southwestern Christian College (Official Website)
Fall Enrollment Count, 2022 View more »