Springdale

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Cass County

Springdale is on Farm Road 2327 five miles northeast of Queen City in northeastern Cass County. It was originally called Forest Home when it was settled, probably in the late 1840s. A post office was established in January 1850 with John W. Moore as postmaster, discontinued after the Civil War, and reestablished in May 1877. The name of the post office was changed to Springdale in February 1879 and back to Forest Home the next month. In April 1883 the office was once again designated Springdale, and it retained that name until it was closed in 1938. In 1884 the town, at the time in a heavily wooded area, had three sawmills and a population of seventy-five. From then until the 1960s population estimates for the community varied between a low of fifty and a high of seventy-five. In 1983 the community had a church, a cemetery, two small businesses, and a population estimated at thirty, where it remained in 1990. In 2000 the population was fifty-five.

Continue Reading

Cecil Harper, Jr. | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Springdale is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Springdale is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Forest Home 2)

Location

Latitude: 33.23318380
Longitude: -94.13324310

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

55