Stoker

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Nacogdoches County

Stoker was a post office community near the site of present Shady Grove eight miles east of Nacogdoches in eastern Nacogdoches County. Apparently it was first settled after the Civil War and was known at various times as Arthur and as Bristow. When a post office opened in 1899, the community was renamed Stoker after Mack Donnel Stoker, the first postmaster. The town began to decline after 1900. Its post office closed in 1905, and by the mid-1930s the community was no longer shown on highway maps.

Continue Reading

Christopher Long | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Stoker is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Stoker is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Arthur)
  • (Bristow)

Location

Latitude: 31.64212370
Longitude: -94.52715170

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No