Tuff, also known as Crockett, was located twenty-five miles west of Bandera in western Bandera County. A school was built there in 1883 on land donated by Andy Crockett. A post office called Tuff was established in 1901 with Ola Adams as postmistress. In 1914 the community had a general store and fifty residents, but by 1925 the population had fallen to ten. When the Tuff post office was discontinued in 1926, mail for the community was sent to Medina. The school at Tuff was consolidated with the Medina district in 1930. The community was not marked on county highway maps in the 1940s, but in the early 1990s development began on an open-air museum of log cabins collected from the area and reconstructed at the site of the old Tuff school. By 2000, other than the renovated cabins, Tuff was virtually a ghost town and was not shown on maps.

Continue Reading

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Tuff is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Tuff is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Crockett)


Latitude: 29.76911130
Longitude: -99.40365640

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated