Tuxedo, just north of the intersection of State Highway 92 and Farm Road 1661, ten miles west of Stamford in northern Jones County, supplies farmers and ranchers along California Creek, which flows west to east three miles south of the community. The settlement was established with the construction of the Texas Central Railroad in 1905 and was called Bonita. A school called Fairview was opened that year. When the railroad arrived in 1907 and the post office was granted, the name was changed on the suggestion of Warren Foster, an early settler. Tuxedo had seventeen businesses by 1911, but in 1912 a fire destroyed all but the gins, lumberyard, and hotel, and the community never recovered its momentum. The school closed in 1947. The population was forty in 1915, fifty-five in 1940, and forty-two in 1980 and through 2000. By 1980 the post office had been closed.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Tuxedo is part of or belongs to the following places:
Tuxedo is classified as a Town
Has Post Office
Tuxedo by the Numbers
This is some placeholder text that we should either remove or replace with a brief summary about this particular metric. For example, "We update population counts once per year..."