Urbana

Urbana is on the Trinity River and U.S. Highway 59, sixty miles north of Houston in southeastern San Jacinto County. It was formed in the wake of the construction of the Houston, East and West Texas Railway through San Jacinto County and was named by S. P. Coughlan for his home town, Urbana, Ohio. The rich black soil in the area proved fertile to cotton growers, and many local residents found employment in the gravel and sand business established east of town in 1908. A post office was opened in 1914. The number of residents of Urbana decreased from seventy-five to ten between 1925 and 1975. Gas and artesian wells were located just west of the community center, and by 1985 the gas wells of the Urbana fields had produced well over 600 million cubic feet of natural gas. In 1990 the population was still reported as ten. The population reached twenty-five in 2000.

Continue Reading

Robert Wooster | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Adopted by: Jeffery Stelly Jr.
For Josiah, JaeLee, and Jeffery Stelly III
Until: October 18th, 2024

Belongs to

Urbana is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Urbana is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 30.56047920
Longitude: -94.95687790

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2014

15