Addison is on Belt Line Road, the St. Louis Southwestern Railway, and Dallas North Tollway thirteen miles north of downtown Dallas in northern Dallas County and southern Collin County. The area was first settled by Peters colony residents in the 1840s. The first prominent settlers in the area were Preston and Pleasant Witt, who settled on White Rock Creek and built an ox-powered gristmill by 1849. In 1888 W. W. Julian, W. E. Horten, and S. S. Noell donated right-of-way to the St. Louis, Arkansas and Texas Railway in exchange for a coaling station, later known as Noell Junction. After the railroad arrived, several buildings were moved from nearby Frankford to the railway station.
In 1902 Noell Junction became the site of a depot on the St. Louis Southwestern, which built a spur to Dallas in 1903. Residents of the area rode into Dallas from 1903 to 1917 on the "Plug," a small Cottonbelt train consisting of an engine, a coal tender, and a passenger car. In 1904 a post office opened at the junction, but since a community named Noell already existed in Leon County, the office was named after Addison Robertson, the first postmaster. W. W. Julian platted the six blocks of the community that year.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Addison is part of or belongs to the following places:
Addison is classified as a Town
Has Post Office
Population Count, 2021 View more »