Bracken

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Panola County

Bracken (Brackens) was a farming community off Farm Road 31 fifteen miles northeast of Carthage in northeastern Panola County. The site was first settled between 1835 and 1838 by the Thomas Bracken family, and in 1900 the settlement had a blacksmith shop, a gristmill, and a syrup mill. By the mid-1930s only a few scattered houses and a cemetery remained in the area. In the early 1990s the site was still marked by a cemetery.

Continue Reading

Christopher Long | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Bracken is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Bracken is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 32.33460160
Longitude: -94.19991390

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No