Byfield

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Panola County

Byfield, just off Farm Road 1971 sixteen miles southwest of Carthage in southwestern Panola County, was established after the Civil War. A school began operating there around 1900, and in 1906 it had an enrollment of sixty-two. In the mid-1930s the community had a school, a church, and a number of houses. After World War II the school was consolidated with the Carthage schools, and by the mid-1960s only a church, a cemetery, and a few scattered houses remained in the area. In the early 1990s Byfield was a dispersed rural community.

Continue Reading

Christopher Long | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Byfield is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Byfield is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 31.99294460
Longitude: -94.52659400

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No