Cedar Creek

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Washington County

Cedar Creek, one of the earliest settlements in Washington County not on the Brazos River, was a mile north of the site of later Chappell Hill, on or near Cedar Creek. The community prospered with abundant lumber supplies from the vicinity's cedar trees. Under the Republic of Texas, a post office was established on March 23, 1837; James Hall was postmaster until 1840. Cedar Creek was the site of a large Methodist camp meeting on October 19, 1843, and the eighth Texas Conference of the Methodist Church was held there from December 29, 1847, until January 3, 1848. The community became a Methodist center during the 1840s. In November 1847 a Methodist church was built. A United States post office operated from 1846 until 1848, when Chappell Hill was founded nearby. Cedar Creek Academy transferred to the new settlement. With the growth of Chappell Hill, Cedar Creek declined and soon disappeared as a separate community.

Continue Reading

Carole E. Christian | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Cedar Creek is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Cedar Creek is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Chappell Hill)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No