Cheek is on State Highway 124 seven miles southwest of Beaumont in central Jefferson County. In 1906 it was laid out by and named for J. R. Cheek. The community was on the Gulf and Interstate Railway and was inhabited largely by rice farmers who used the Beaumont Irrigating Company's canal, which cut through Cheek and irrigated the surrounding farms. By 1925 Cheek's population was estimated to be forty. Although Cheek remained an identifiable community, its proximity to Beaumont probably reduced the number of services available at the site. Its post office was discontinued in 1928. The Cheek Common School District, organized in 1907 and bolstered by the construction in 1939 of a new school building by the Public Works Administration (see GREAT DEPRESSION), was consolidated with the South Park Independent School District of Beaumont in 1951. By the 1970s a large Goodyear chemical plant was nearby. The community reported a population of sixty-two in 1990 and again in 2000.

Continue Reading

Robert Wooster | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Cheek is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Cheek is classified as a Town


Latitude: 29.98354860
Longitude: -94.20268290

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated


Population Count, 2014