Culp

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Hill County

Culp was ten miles west of Hillsboro in west central Hill County, the Cross Timbers section of the county. The site was likely settled during the late nineteenth century by William Myers, Mose Reed, and Cicero Beck. Local mineral-water springs, near which a hotel and bathhouse stood, won for the community a reputation as a health resort. A community school enrolled sixty students and employed one teacher during the 1905–06 school year. Though a post office operated locally from 1892 until sometime after 1930, Culp reported no population or business statistics during the twentieth century. The site was inundated by Aquilla Lake in the 1970s, though a church belonging to the community was still standing in 1990.

Continue Reading

Brian Hart | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Culp is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Culp is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (White's Wells)

Location

Latitude: 31.90765810
Longitude: -97.22361980

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No