Dobskyville

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Goliad County

Dobskyville was three miles west of U.S. Highway 183 in northern Goliad County. Frederick and Agatha Dobsky, immigrants from Berlin, established a residence in the area in the 1850s. A grandson, Henry Dobsky, a rancher and farmer, opened a store in 1905 near the public road (now Farm Road 884) to serve neighboring farmers and ranchers. He enlarged the store and added a saloon in 1907. Two years later he built a dance hall. A local school was established in 1905. The area, which became known as Dobskyville, was a popular gathering place for celebrations, barbecues, dances, and political and sports events. Henry Dobsky operated the store until he retired in 1935; that same year the Dobskyville school was consolidated with the nearby Weesatche school. The dance hall was destroyed later by a hurricane. In 1986 the county highway map still designated the location as Dobskyville Community.

Continue Reading

Craig H. Roell | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Dobskyville is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Dobskyville is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 28.90540300
Longitude: -97.40160400

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No