Double Gates

Shield, at the intersection of Farm roads 2131 and 1026, twelve miles southwest of Santa Anna in south central Coleman County, started as a Baptist church settlement founded by missionary J. R. McCorkle in 1900. The settlers called the place Double Gates. In 1906 Miles Vance built a cotton gin, and L. L. Shield established a store and named the community for himself. In 1940 the community had a store and 125 people. The population had declined to thirteen by 1980. It was still thirteen in 1990.

Continue Reading

Beatrice Grady Gay | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Double Gates is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Double Gates is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Shields)

Location

Latitude: 31.59237650
Longitude: -99.42367090

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No