Elliott's Ferry

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Panola County

Elliott's Ferry, on the east bank of the Sabine River eight miles northeast of Carthage near the site of River Hill, was among the earliest settlements in Panola County. The community, located on the main road between Carthage and Shreveport, grew up around a ferry crossing. The ferry was operated by William K. Elliott, who also owned a tavern in the area. By 1850 the settlement had several stores and houses. Malaria and frequent floods drove most of the residents to River Hill on the bluff above the river, and the site was eventually abandoned.

Continue Reading

Christopher Long | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Great Texas Land Rush logo
Adoption Status:
This place has been adopted and will not be available until April 29, 2025
Adopted by:
Dolly Anna Ruth Elliott-Hames-Hubbard
Dedication Message:
In honor, respect, and dearest recollections of every Elliott that ever saw the Sabine River and then crossed it!

Belongs to

Elliott's Ferry is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Elliott's Ferry is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [Elliot's-]

Location

Latitude: 32.22539000
Longitude: -94.22526700

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No