Enon

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Upshur County Texas

Enon, also known as McPeek, is on Farm Road 852 six miles northwest of Gilmer in western Upshur County. The area was first settled in the late 1840s. The Enon Baptist Church, organized on May 13, 1848, was one of the earliest churches in the county. A school built across the road from the church began operating before 1900, and by 1906 there were two schools at Enon with a total enrollment of 203. A post office, named McPeek for one of the area's early settlers, opened there in 1903 but closed in 1905. In the mid-1930s the community had a number of scattered houses and a church, school, store, cemetery, and sawmill. After World War II many of Enon's residents moved away, and its school was consolidated with that of Harmony. By the mid-1960s only the church, the cemetery, and a few houses remained in the area. In 1990 Enon was a dispersed rural community served by a church and cemetery.

Continue Reading

Christopher Long | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Enon is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Enon is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (McPeek)
  • (Toddville)

Location

Latitude: 32.77068900
Longitude: -95.02966220

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

204