Evansville was on the Houston and Texas Central Railway near Jewett and nineteen miles northwest of Centerville in northwestern Leon County. It had a post office from 1909 to 1931, and Howard Holleman was the first postmaster. When the post office closed, the mail was rerouted through Newby. Evansville was a coal-mining town and prospered until 1930, when the local supply of soft coal was depleted. From 1925 through the mid-1930s Evansville reported a population of 200, and in the 1930s it reported one business. The community was not shown on county highway maps in the 1930s.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Evansville is part of or belongs to the following places:
Evansville is classified as a Town
Has Post Office