Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Goliad County

Schroeder is at the intersection of Farm roads 622 and 2987, fifteen miles from Goliad in northeastern Goliad County. German immigrants began settling the area in the 1840s. Since supplies were available in nearby towns, the first store was not built until 1887. This establishment-which became a combination shoe store, grocery, and saloon by 1892-still supplied groceries, gasoline, and hardware in 1986. A school was built in 1870, a blacksmith shop in 1889, and a cotton gin and gristmill in 1895. The first dance hall was constructed and opened for business in 1890. When a new school was established in 1882 residents named it Germantown School to denote their heritage. Thereafter, the community, which received a post office in 1890, was also called Germantown.

Itinerant clergy used the school for services until St. Luke's Lutheran Church was organized in 1893 by Theodore Ander, the pastor from nearby Hanover (see ANDER, TEXAS). A new church building was built in 1905 with Rev. J. Schroeder as pastor. St. Luke's Ladies Aid Society, organized in 1900, was still active in the community in 1986, as was the Sons of Herman Lodge, chartered in 1894.

Continue Reading

Craig H. Roell | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Germantown is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Germantown is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [German Cove]
  • (Schroeder)

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated