Coppell is on Interstate Highway 635, U.S. Highway 121, Interstate Highway 35, the Elm Fork of the Trinity River, and the St. Louis Southwestern Railway, seven miles from Farmers Branch in the extreme northwest corner of Dallas County. The community is bordered by Irving, Grapevine, and Carrollton and is northeast of Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport. Grapevine Creek, Denton Creek, and Cottonwood Branch flow through the city. The area was on the original land grant of J. A. Simmonds. President Sam Houston and Republic of Texas troops camped on Grapevine Creek during negotiations with area Indian tribes in an effort to enlist their aid in defending the republic against attacks by Mexican troops in 1843.
The site was first settled in the mid-1800s by James Parish, from Goliad. In 1887 the community secured a post office. It was originally named Gibbs Station, after Texas lieutenant governor Barnett Gibbs, a large landowner in the area. In 1888 construction of the St. Louis, Arkansas and Texas Railway through the town was completed. In 1892 the depot was renamed Coppell, in honor of banker and financier George A. Coppell, who was associated with Maitland, Phelps and Company, which bought and sold securities, bills of exchange, and issued loans to railroads. He assisted with reorganizing the St. Louis, Arkansas & Texas Railroad, which ran through Coppell. In 1914 the settlement had two churches, two general stores, two blacksmiths, a bank, a hardware store, telephone service, a population of 450, and dealers in poultry, livestock, and lumber. However, by 1926 the population had decreased to 200, where it remained for three decades.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Gibbs is part of or belongs to the following places:
Gibbs is classified as a Town
Has Post Office