Guilford was in north central DeWitt County. It was named for Mrs. Guilford Whitsett Wofford, whose husband, Charles Wofford, operated the local store and donated land for a school in 1898. The settlement had a gin, and a Guilford post office operated from 1903 to 1905. The Clear Creek Methodist Church, four miles from the school, was active from 1885 to about 1935. The Guilford school was consolidated with the Lindenau school in 1942. Guilford was not labeled on the 1948 county highway map.

Continue Reading

Nellie Murphree | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Guilford is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Guilford is classified as a Town

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated