Bynum is thirty miles north of Waco and eight miles southeast of Hillsboro on State Highway 171 in east central Hill County. The town was named for a pioneer settler. At the site was an ancient Indian burial ground. In 1882 Judge J. P. Connell built a small establishment with a "stock of goods" and opened a post office that was named Hanover and operated until 1884. Ranches and, to the north, farms surrounded the establishment. Due to a lack of business the store closed by 1884. Henry M. Mucklevane opened a general store about 1890, and a post office called Bynum began operation in 1886 in the same vicinity as the original store. In 1896 the town had a population of 150, a district school, Baptist and Christian churches, a music teacher, a blacksmith, a grocer, the Bynum String Band, a barber, a druggist, a general store, and two doctors.

The town moved a half mile to its present location when the Texas and Brazos Valley Railroad arrived in 1904. The community purchased the farm of W. W. Cabell for its new townsite. In March, town lots were sold. J. C. Barnard's grocery, Dr. Saylor's drugstore, and the privately owned Bank of Bynum were housed in brick buildings. The population was 163. The Baptist, Methodist, and Christian churches were moved from the old townsite. In 1905 the Bynum Independent School District was organized, and residents voted on a bond for the construction of a two-story brick school building for $5,000. Professor T. W. Swofford was hired as the teacher and assisted by older students.

Continue Reading

Kenneth E. Austin | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Hanover is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Hanover is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Bynum)

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated