Honey Springs

Honey Springs was near the junction of the Missouri, Kansas, and Texas railroad tracks and Honey Springs Branch, five miles south of Dallas in south central Dallas County. Dugald McFarland was the original holder of the land grant. The first settlers to remain in the area arrived with William Perry Overton from Virginia in 1844. Indians pointed out the two springs and abundance of wild honey in the area, and the settlers named their community Honey Springs.

No organized community existed at the site until 1886, when the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad came through Honey Springs. A section house was built there, which became known as Honey Springs Station. Honey Springs received mail from Lisbon, three miles west. Outgoing mail was hung on a pole for the conductor to grab as the train went by, and the incoming mail pouch was thrown from the train. Honey Springs had a population of fifteen in 1910. Students attended schools in the Bonnie View Common School District. On August 21, 1928, the Bonnie View Common School District No. 60 merged with the Dallas Independent School District, and students from Honey Springs began attending Dallas schools.

Continue Reading

Lisa C. Maxwell | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Honey Springs is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Honey Springs is classified as a Town

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No