Hoyt

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Wood County

Hoyt was a railroad community a half mile southeast of Alba near what is now U.S. Highway 69 in southwestern Wood County. The community began as a station on the Missouri, Kansas and Texas line, which built through the area from Greenville to Mineola in 1881. Hoyt had a post office from 1914 to 1924. In the early 1930s the community reported one business and a population of 100; by the mid-1940s Hoyt's population had fallen to about thirty. Though the railroad line through Hoyt was closed in 1956, the community's population continued to be reported at thirty until 1966, when it dropped to twenty-six. No population figures are available for Hoyt after 1966. The community was not shown on the 1988 county highway map.

Continue Reading

Rachel Jenkins | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Hoyt is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Hoyt is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Chapman)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No