Jim Hogg

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Wood County

Ogburn, also known as Jim Hogg, is just off Farm Road 2088 and fifteen miles east of Quitman in eastern Wood County. In 1897 the W. G. Ragley Lumber Company of Winnsboro built a tramline through the area to carry logs; this line later became part of the Texas Southern Railway. In 1900 J. W. Ogburn, for whom the community was named, was operating a sawmill called Jim Hogg on the rail line, and some sources report that a community called Jim Hogg grew up around the mill at that time. In 1908 this community was said to have moved a short distance and become the settlement of Ogburn. By that same year J. W. Ogburn had planted 550 acres with Elberta peach trees, and the next year the Ogburn community received a post office. By 1914 the town had a population of 100, a telephone connection, and one business, the Ogburn Orchard Company. Ogburn declined after the fruit orchards deteriorated, and by 1923 its post office had closed. In 1932 the Ogburn school district reported an enrollment of forty-seven White students in eight grades. From 1939 to 1947 the community population was reported at twenty, served by one business; after that time no population figures were available. By the late 1940s the school was gone, and Ogburn had only a few scattered dwellings. By 1960 only one inhabited dwelling remained at the site. In 2000 the population was ten.

Continue Reading

Rachel Jenkins | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Jim Hogg is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Jim Hogg is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Merrimac)
  • (Ogburn)

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated