Kovar

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Bastrop County

Kovar is eight miles south of Smithville in southeastern Bastrop County. It was named for an early settler, Martin Kovar, who arrived in the area around 1870. A thirty-member Czech-Moravian church was organized by Rev. Jindrich Juren in 1894. The early economy was based on agriculture and the presence of a cotton gin. The Kovar post office was established in 1903 with Frank Rundus as postmaster, but the site never developed into a full-fledged town. The post office closed in 1914, and apparently no population figures have ever been kept. In the 1980s the area's economy centered upon ranching.

Continue Reading

Paula Mitchell Marks | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Kovar is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Kovar is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Stasny)

Location

Latitude: 29.90189110
Longitude: -97.21387780

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No