Lone Oak

Lone Oak is on Farm Road 1291 three miles from both the Fayette and Austin county lines in northern Colorado County. The name is derived from a large single oak that grows in the middle of the intersection of the two main roads through the community. During the 1880s the settlement, known as Pisek, supported two businesses. The Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad passed a mile north of the community in 1887, and the two businesses moved to the railroad, where a turntable had been constructed. Pisek, also known as Sandy Point, had a post office from 1869 to 1907. In 1939 the population was estimated at twenty. In 1941 one store was moved back to the intersection with the oak tree; the name Lone Oak dates from that time. The railroad then changed the name of the community on the rail line to Nickols. In the mid-1980s Lone Oak had two stores and eighteen homes. Residents generally relied on small gardens and stock raising rather than large-scale farming. In 2000 the population was fifty.

Continue Reading

Jeff Carroll | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Lone Oak is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Lone Oak is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Pisek)

Location

Latitude: 29.90161530
Longitude: -96.58191710

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

50