Mahon

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Panola County

Harris Chapel is on Farm Road 959 twelve miles northwest of Carthage in northwestern Panola County. The area was settled before the Civil War. The town grew up around a Baptist church established in the 1870s. A post office named Mahon operated in the community from 1888 until 1892. By the early 1890s the town had Baptist and Methodist churches, two combination gristmills and cotton gins, and a general store. In the mid-1930s Harris Chapel had a number of houses and a store, a church, and a cemetery. It had two churches, a cemetery, and a number of scattered houses during the mid-1960s. In the early 1990s Harris Chapel was a dispersed rural community with an estimated population of 180. In 2000 the population remained the same.

Continue Reading

Christopher Long | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Mahon is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Mahon is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Harris Chapel)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No