Marley Springs

Pebble Mound was on the old San Saba Road eight miles northwest of Burnet in northwest central Burnet County. The community was once known as Marley Springs, for the Robert Marley family. A post office called Pebble Mound was established there in June 1879 with Laura V. McGuire as postmaster. It was discontinued in February 1880. School-age children had been taught in various homes in the 1870s, but by 1880 work had begun on a schoolhouse. A Baptist church was established in 1883 and used the school building for its services. The school district continued to be called Marley Springs until at least 1911, after which time the name was changed to Pebble Mound. The school was consolidated with the Burnet Independent School District in 1941. County highway maps showed a few scattered houses in the area in the late 1940s, but population estimates for Pebble Mound were not available. Only a cemetery marked its location on county highway maps in the 1980s.

Continue Reading

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Marley Springs is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Marley Springs is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Pebble Mound)

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated