Marston

Marston is on a road west of State Spur 116 and three miles north of Livingston in southeastern Polk County. The site had an older community called Norma, but the area was opened to outside interests after the construction of the Houston, East and West Texas Railway in 1880. Robert L. Collier built a store near a sawmill operated by Jesse Leggett on the rail line and in 1901 secured a post office, which he called Marston. As the lumber industry of East Texas weakened, many residents moved out of the area, and by the early 1940s only fifteen people remained at Marston. A similar population estimate was given in the mid-1980s. In 1990 the population was reported as twenty-five. The population remained at twenty-five in 2000.

Continue Reading

Robert Wooster | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Marston is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Marston is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Norma)

Location

Latitude: 30.75825020
Longitude: -94.90882290

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

25