Morton

Morton is a small rural community located near the intersection of State Highway 154 and Farm Road 2879 about nineteen miles northwest of Marshall in northwestern Harrison County. The settlement was named after the Morton family, who settled in the region. John V. Morton received a patent for more than 2,600 acres on May 18, 1880. In the 1930s the farming community had a school, two businesses, residences, and the Morton Baptist Church and cemetery. No population figures were available for Morton until 2000, when it reported seventy-five residents.

Continue Reading

Laurie E. Jasinski | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Morton is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Morton is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 32.66986360
Longitude: -94.65798420

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

75