Mount Gilead

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Upshur County Texas

Mount Gilead was eight miles northwest of Gilmer on Farm Road 852 just west of Enon in western Upshur County. The community was probably settled sometime before 1900. In the mid-1930s it had a church, a school, and number of houses. After World War II the church was disbanded, and the school was consolidated with the Rosewood school. By the mid-1960s Mount Gilead had been abandoned.

Continue Reading

Christopher Long | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Mount Gilead is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Mount Gilead is classified as a Town

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No