Pine Grove

Piney Grove (Pine Grove), a rural community fifteen miles northeast of Gilmer off U.S. Highway 259 in northeastern Upshur County, was probably first settled sometime after the Civil War around a church. A school was in operation around the turn of the century, and in 1906 it had an enrollment of sixty-seven. In the mid-1930s Piney Grove had a church, a school, and a number of houses. After World War II the school was consolidated with the Ore City school, and by the mid-1960s only the church, a cemetery, and few scattered dwellings remained. In the early 1990s Piney Grove was a dispersed rural community. No population estimates were available.

Continue Reading

Christopher Long | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Pine Grove is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Pine Grove is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [Piney-]

Location

Latitude: 32.72735890
Longitude: -94.88826960

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No