Pocahontas

Security was on the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway thirteen miles east of Conroe in eastern Montgomery County. Although settlement in the vicinity began in the mid-nineteenth century, Security was not formed until after 1889, when the GC&SF completed its branch line from Conroe to Cleveland across eastern Montgomery County. Around 1900 a lumber boom in this heavily wooded region brought an influx of settlers. By 1900 the community had a post office known as Pocahontas. In 1902 the name was changed to Bennette, in honor of J. O. H. Bennette, on whose property the town developed. Bennette sold his holdings to the Security Land Company in 1907, and the post office closed. In 1910 a new post office was established under the name Security.

In 1914 the schools at nearby Timber and White Oak were consolidated into the Security common school. By that date the community had a depot, a sawmill, a cotton gin, two gristmills, two grocery stores, a general store, a hotel, and a population of 150. In the late 1920s the Security school was merged into the Splendora Consolidated School District.

Continue Reading

Charles Christopher Jackson | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Pocahontas is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Pocahontas is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Security)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No