Rothe

Rothe was a ranching community on Hondo Creek a mile west of Farm Road 462 and eighteen miles northwest of Hondo in far northwestern Medina County. Since the local terrain was too hilly for farming, the principal agricultural endeavor was stockraising. Students at the Rothe School, built between 1908 and 1910, used handmade desks during the school's first six years of operation. A new schoolhouse was constructed in 1928. The Rothe School may have still been active in 1947, but by 1969 it no longer existed.

Continue Reading

Ruben E. Ochoa | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Rothe is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Rothe is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 29.37106690
Longitude: -99.28226280

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No