Salem

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Milam County

Salem is on Farm Road 1600 four miles southwest of Cameron in central Milam County. A Methodist church was established at Salem in 1849, and the church and a school shared the same building until 1890, when the church built a structure of its own. In 1903 Salem had one school with one teacher and fifty White students and a second school with one teacher and forty-three Black students. The church building was destroyed by a storm in 1915 but was later rebuilt. The church disbanded in 1973, but its building still marked the townsite on the 1988 county highway map.

Continue Reading

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Salem is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Salem is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 30.81574650
Longitude: -97.02387630

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No