Salona

Salona is on a spur off Farm Road 1758 five miles southeast of Bowie in south central Montague County. Settlement of the community, which was originally named Bethel, occurred in the early 1870s. By the early 1880s the community had established a church and a school and chosen the name Salona. Between 1889 and 1905 a post office operated at the site. Throughout its history Salona has acted as a community center for area farmers. In the mid-1930s a school, a church, three businesses, and a number of scattered dwellings occupied the site. The population has never exceeded fifty. The last reported estimates, in the late 1940s, listed thirty residents. The community was still marked on highway maps of the 1980s.

Continue Reading

David Minor | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Salona is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Salona is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Bethel)
  • (Lamb's Mill)
  • (Spat)

Location

Latitude: 33.54732910
Longitude: -97.74780990

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No