Santa Margarita, on Farm Road 1762 five miles northeast of Raymondville in north central Willacy County, was established as a commissary to provide food and supplies to crews of the Gulf Coast Irrigation Company when it was clearing land in the vicinity. A general store was opened there in 1915 by W. H. Meade, who later became county judge. A Santa Margarita school district was approved on March 9, 1923, but by 1947 the store had burned and Santa Margarita existed as a dispersed rural community. By 1952 the Santa Margarita school district had become part of the San Perlita district. Santa Margarita was still shown on the 1987 county highway map.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Santa Margarita is part of or belongs to the following places:
Santa Margarita is classified as a Town
Has Post Office