Shield, at the intersection of Farm roads 2131 and 1026, twelve miles southwest of Santa Anna in south central Coleman County, started as a Baptist church settlement founded by missionary J. R. McCorkle in 1900. The settlers called the place Double Gates. In 1906 Miles Vance built a cotton gin, and L. L. Shield established a store and named the community for himself. In 1940 the community had a store and 125 people. The population had declined to thirteen by 1980. It was still thirteen in 1990.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Shields is part of or belongs to the following places:
Shields is classified as a Town
- (Double Gates)
Has Post Office
Shields by the Numbers
This is some placeholder text that we should either remove or replace with a brief summary about this particular metric. For example, "We update population counts once per year..."