Smith was a farming community and shipping point off U.S. Highway 271 eight miles north of Gilmer in northern Upshur County. The settlement, originally known as Smith's Mill, was established in the 1880s to prepare lumber to ship on the St. Louis and Southwestern Railway. A local post office operated under the name Smith from 1897 to 1906. In the mid-1930s the community consisted of a store and a number of houses; the estimated population in 1936 was fifteen. By mid-1960s all that remained of the community was a few scattered houses. In 1990 the town no longer appeared on state highway maps.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Smith is part of or belongs to the following places:
Smith is classified as a Town
- ['s Mill]
- ['s Switch]
Has Post Office