Springtown

Alanreed is on Interstate Highway 40 and U.S. Highway 66 in southern Gray County. In the early 1880s a group of farmers clearing timber from the basin of McClellan Creek selected the site, which was on the stage line from Mobeetie to Clarendon. By 1884 the Clarendon Land and Cattle Company began selling townsite lots. F. R. McCraken and R. P. Reeves were among the first settlers. In 1886 a post office called Eldridge was established six miles north of the present site of Alanreed. At various times the town was also called Springtown or Spring Tank, for a large spring-fed tank; Prairie Dog Town, for one located nearby; and Gouge Eye, for a saloon fight. The present townsite was laid out in 1900 by a surveyor for the Choctaw, Oklahoma and Texas Railroad. The town's present name was reputedly derived from the name of the contracting firm, Alan and Reed.

In 1901 the first school was built. In 1902 the post office was moved from Eldridge and renamed Alanreed. After the Rock Island line was completed in 1903 the town became a shipping point for cattle. G. E. Castleberry's land company sold parcels at $2.25 an acre. By 1904 Alanreed was the largest town in Gray County. In 1907 it had a bank, a hotel, a depot, Baptist and Methodist churches, a saloon, two grocery stores, a hardware store, a livery stable, and a blacksmith shop. Watermelons became a major crop; the town shipped an average of 500 cars annually. In 1912 a two-story school was built. By 1917 the town had telephone service and an estimated population of 250.

Continue Reading

H. Allen Anderson | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Springtown is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Springtown is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [Spring Tank]
  • (Alanreed)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No