Swedonia was located eleven miles east of Roby and one mile east of McCaulley in eastern Fisher County. In 1884 a group of Swedish immigrants living in the Austin area decided to relocate to West Texas. J.J. Swenson surveyed the community site in the summer of that year and the colonists arrived a few months later, naming the new community for their homeland. A small church which also served as a schoolhouse was erected in 1885, the community was granted a post office in 1886, and a schoolhouse was built in 1889. In 1896 Swedonia had an estimated 125 inhabitants and two churches. The post office closed in 1907, the school consolidated with Hamlin in 1946, and the community was no longer listed on state highway maps by the 1960s.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Swedonia is part of or belongs to the following places:
Swedonia is classified as a Town
- (Head of California)
Has Post Office