Walnut Grove

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Panola County

Walnut Grove, off U.S. Highway 59 five miles northeast of Carthage in northern Panola County, was probably established after the Civil War. A school was in operation by 1897, when it had an enrollment of thirty-two black students. In the mid-1930s Walnut Grove had two schools, a store, and a number of houses. During the 1940s the school was consolidated with Carthage school. In the mid-1960s two churches, a cemetery, and a few scattered houses still remained in the area. In the early 1990s Walnut Grove was a dispersed rural community.

Continue Reading

Christopher Long | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Walnut Grove is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Walnut Grove is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 32.23154860
Longitude: -94.33686350

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

125