Easton is on Farm Road 2906 ten miles southeast of Longview in extreme southeastern Gregg County and northeastern Rusk County. Most of the site, first known as Walling's Ferry and then as Camden, is near a bluff on the south bank of the Sabine River. In 1885 the Texas, Sabine Valley and Northwestern Railway built a line through the area, and by the late 1880s a large sawmill was in operation there. In 1890 Easton reported the Buchanan and Company general store, a lumber and shingle plant, and a population of seventy-five. The community declined, and most of the remaining White inhabitants moved to Longview or other towns. By 1940 Easton was a predominantly Black community with one business and a population of fifty. It revived in the 1940s with the development of oilfields in the area. In March 1949 a post office was again established, after which the town soon incorporated. The incorporated area straddled the Gregg-Rusk county line. Easton had 297 residents in 1970, 401 in 1990, and 524 in 2000.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Walling's Ferry is part of or belongs to the following places:
Walling's Ferry is classified as a Town
Has Post Office